Growing Old, Growing Free Chapter two

  



This is the second extract from my new book, Growing Old, Growing Free about my journey to becoming a full time traveller in my sixties.





Growing Old, Growing Free



                                         

                                     The Adventure Begins!


One of the wonderful thing about cruising is you just pull up outside the ship and your luggage is taken, and the next time you see it is outside your cabin door. Also there is no baggage allowance!


The queue for security was quite short and I chatted to a couple of young men who were also on their first cruise. In no time at all I was through security and heading up the gangway to the ship. From arrival to sitting in the onboard bar having a welcome drink, was forty five minutes, that certainly beats airport queues!


My inside cabin was small, but beautiful, and had everything I needed including a t.v.,  en suite, and tea making facilities. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the choice of pillows huge.




MSC Virtuosa


After dropping off a few things and having a quick glass of something sparkly, I decided to have a look around the ship, The MSC Virtuosa. It was huge, beautiful, and spotlessly clean. There were swimming pools, hot tubs, a theatre, restaurants, bars, shops, games room, a cinema, spa, and much more. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and my cruise could not have got off to a better start.


I had a delicious lunch in the self service restaurant, and chatted to a few people who were also travelling on their own. What had I been worried about! As we ate the Captain came over the tannoy and welcomed us aboard and told us we were just about to leave. We were on our way!


The ship slipped gently out of her dock and the customary leaving party got underway, with music and dancing. The atmosphere was electric without a single cocktail dress in sight, and no hint of a queue for the captain.


I slept like a baby on my first night, the ship gently rocking me to and fro and my head and body sunk into the deliciousness of the comfy bed and pillows. In the morning I was wide awake and on deck before 5.00, a cup of tea in my hand, and very grateful that I was clever enough to book such a wonderful holiday!




Sunrise


The sea was peaceful and calm as I watched my very first onboard sunrise, a mesmerising experience. There is something quite magical about being far from land, and watching an iridescent sun, reflecting onto the early mist and vast expanse of water.


After breakfast I scanned through the onboard activities. It was a ‘sea day’ today, so there were a huge range of choices. Keep fit at 9.00, line dancing at 10.00 followed by a talk about the type of whales we might encounter nearer to Norway.


After lunch there was bridge club, music quiz, ballroom dancing, music-by-the-pool and an organised tour of the ship. The evening consisted of a West End musical at the theatre, live music in the bar and a comedy show. Late night was a silent disco, pizza by the pool and a D J until midnight. It was exhausting just thinking about it.






So Much To Do!


The ship caters for solo travellers and have a welcome meeting for people when they first board the ship, and a regular place for them to meet every day. I didn’t feel I wanted to go to these as I had already met quite a few people onboard. However, it is good to know that this exists for anyone who is a little anxious about being on their own.


I opted for the whale talk, music quiz and the ships tour but otherwise spent my time lazing by the pool and chatting in the hot tub. Everyone was in holiday mode and so friendly. I felt really at home and was already getting to know many of the guests as well as some of the crew. I was beginning to wonder why I had filled my suitcase with books!


The following day was another sea day, and again, the sunrise was spectacular. It seemed the ship had many early risers like me and I was soon chatting with others, many who had been cruising for years on their own. It was lovey to hear first hand experiences of where to go, what to see, and and what to do.





Breathtaking Scenery 


My day was filled watching live cooking shows, listening to music, swimming, sitting in the hot tub, sunbathing, sipping ice cold drinks and eating delicious food. If that sounds like heaven, it was, and I snuggled down into my bed at about 9.00, completely exhausted from a lovely day at sea and a stomach over filled with scrumptious food.


On my third day I woke to one of the most magnificent sights I have ever seen! Somehow, late into the night, the Captain had managed to steer our enormous ship into the deep icy-blue fjord at Kristiansund, Norway. The majestic snow capped mountains surrounding us felt so close you could stretch out your hand and touch them. It was absolutely breathtaking, and remains to this day, one of the most beautiful sights of all my trips.


Getting off the ship I walked around the port taking in the sights and sounds that awaited. Kristiansund is an archipelago of small islands and islets connected by expansive bridges. My research showed me there was so much to see in this delightful little place on the waters edge.




There were hiking tours, seal safaris and over 100 dive sites. There is also a shipbuilding museum as well as a museum detailing the history of the fishing industry and lives of the people. Fishing has been a major part of Norways history and the islands of Hitra and neighbouring Frøya, have become home to one of the worlds largest fishing farms.


I took the little passenger ferry, the Sundbåt, one of the world’s oldest public transport companies still in operation (established in 1876) as we did not have much time to explore. Island hoping on small boats is a great way to get around and see the sites, as well as get a brief history of the local area.


Flam


The following day we arrived at another destination which also took my breath away, it was the beautiful mountainside village of Flam, on the banks of the Aurlandsfjord. Today I had booked a trip on the world famous Flam Railway. Norway is quite an expensive country to visit, and excursions cost quite a lot of money, but this was one I was happy I decided to blow my budget with.


Flam itself is a charming little village, nestled at the side of the mountain, overlooking the fjord. There are several shops, restaurants and bars and while it is a little expensive, the views make it more than worthwhile. Everywhere you look is simply stunning, and it is no surprise that Flam was chosen as the location for much of the filming for Disneys film, Frozen.




The train travels up one of the steepest and most beautiful  routes in the world. It passes through twenty tunnels and many forests and waterfalls, as it climbs higher and higher into the mountains. There are a few stops along the way for getting off and taking photos. We stopped just by a waterfall and it was truly breathtaking.


We were taken to a beautiful hotel for a delicious meal, and I had a walk around the lake and the rest of the mountain top village, before being taken back to the ship, by coach. We stopped off at several waterfalls, rivers and lakes on the way back, everywhere you looked was so pretty. There was still a little snow on the top of the mountains, and I could only imagine what this place would like in winter!


Once again, I had a fabulous night onboard ship, with a spectacular show in the theatre followed by a late night meal in the self service restaurant. There is a huge choice of food at almost any time of the day or night. I was quite exhausted after todays exhilarating trip so was tucked up in bed again before 9.00 pm. 




Malloy


Another morning, another amazing location, this time Malloy which is one of the most important fishing ports in Norway. It has some fabulous sandy beaches, for example Refviksanden and many are reputed to be among the most beautiful in the whole of Norway. 


Malloy also has several lighthouses, such as Kråkenes Lighthouse and  Ulvesund Lighthouse, to keep the boats safe from the strong winds. Malloy is also close to the largest glacier in Europe.


I was back at the ship early as the weather was warm, and I wanted to spend some time in the pool and chatting with new friends and hearing about their adventures. It is surprising how quickly you get to know people, it seems holidays always bring out the best in them.


It was hard to think I imagined I might be lonely, I have barely spent more than an hour or two on my own in the daytime. For me the cruise was the perfect mix of meeting new people, seeing incredible sights and learning a little history. Of course there was also, swimming, sunbathing and chatting in the hot tub, eating, sipping a cocktail (or two) and a very comfy bed when I needed to rest.






On Our Way Home Already?


Where had the time gone? I was sad to know that in the morning we would be heading towards home, but we still had time to enjoy the cruise as the weather continued to be warm and sunny and the sea like glass.I had met some wonderful people and experienced some fantastic sights. I had even spotted a few whales and dolphins which was the icing on the cake!


The evening before we arrived I finally managed a late night, and stayed up dancing until late. I had to turn into Cinderella though, as my suitcase had to be placed outside my cabin door my midnight ( I would be reunited with it just before passport control) but it had been a night to remember.


Although I doubt I would have booked a cruise if I hadn’t have had a few glasses of wine, I am so very pleased I did. I had the most amazing time and met so many new people, I never even got round to opening my book!  Everything on the trip exceeded my expectations and I couldn’t wait to try another one. Where to next?


I would love it if you could follow me :) Please click the 3 lines on the left at top of the page and then click follow x


Thank you for stopping by💝💝💝 Lily x


Chapter three coming next week


*Please note some of the photos in  the blog  are not in the book, and just added for your enjoyment :)

Popular Posts