Cruising, The Perfect Holiday As We Age?





I am quite new to cruising and most definitely a convert! I have to admit, before I stepped foot on a ship, I had a rather misguided view of cruising. I thought people dressed up all the time or stood for hours in a queue for a photo with the captain. I imagined  it would be full of couples holding hands and celebrating their wedding anniversaries, and I would be the only solo person on the ship, standing out like a sore thumb and feeling very lonely. How wrong I was!




The Reality

The reality of a cruise is that you can make it into anything you want it to be. If you enjoy dressing for dinner, go for it! But if, like me, you prefer eating in a more relaxed way (I usually take mine out on deck!) then the self service restaurants are fantastic, offering an enormous selection of food, so there is always something you will like.

And as for couples celebrating wedding anniversaries, I am sure there must be, but I never met anyone who was. Even if people go as a couple many spend their time doing different things, so there are always people around who are on their own. Never once did I feel lonely and I certainly was't the only person cruising on my own. In fact, if you are solo, it is one of the most popular way to travel

So Easy To Board

Boarding a ship is so much easier than boarding a plane. When you arrive at the port your luggage is immediately taken and the next time you see it, it is outside your cabin door. And no luggage allowance!

The last two cruises I have been on were amazing. From the time my taxi dropped me off, I passed check-in and security, and was having a welcome drink within 45 minutes. I have never done that at an airport. On the other times I have cruised the short wait in the queue was really enjoyable, chatting with other cruisers about the ship and places we were going to. It seems everyone is in holiday mode from the very beginning.

Safety

There are a huge number of people who look after your every need on the ship, not only your cabin steward, chefs, waiters, etc. but also doctors, nurses and the reception staff, who all do anything to make sure your trip is wonderful. There are also excursion staff who take care of all your trips as well as the rest of the crew, who, in my experience, can't do enough for you.

Many people cruise who have mobility issues, as they can easily get around the ship with a mobility scooter. Cruise companies may be able to  arrange for a mobility scooter to be hired for your trip so it is waiting for you when you arrive. All the big ships have stabilising mechanisms, so you rarely feel much movement onboard.



Entertainment

Onboard entertainment is generally excellent, with theatres putting on nightly shows similar to a West End performance. As well as shows they have comedians, magicians, circus acts, ballet,  singers , the list is endless. Many cruise ships also offer guest speakers, talking about anything from places you may be visiting, wildlife etc, through to unsolved murders or amazing Life Stories.

As well as this you may have swimming pools, hot tubs, games room, library, gym, sports arena, dance classes, crafts, cooking demonstrations, quizzes, silent discos, and many, many more. I can honestly say I have never been bored for a moment, there is always something to do.

I have found as I have become older, that I don't really go out that much at night anymore. I guess it's a combination of energy, lack of enthusiasm, the expense or I can't be bothered for the journey. On the ship I have a little afternoon siesta, a gentle stroll to the theatre, and then I can be back in bed five minutes after the show ends. Perfect!



Excursions

The opportunities for excursions are endless, but some can be a little expensive, so do a little research before you go to find out which ones you would really like to do. Many are also rated in ability level, for example 'you will need to be fit', 'this one requires minimum fitness level', etc. The people who arrange your excursions have often been on them themselves, so if in doubt ask for their advise. They really are the experts. Also many of your fellow passengers may have been on the excursion so do ask about their experience.

Although you may need to consider how much you are spending, also take into account that you may not have the opportunity again. When I went to The Caribbean I went swimming with turtles and, in Iceland, went to The Blue Lagoon. Both are quite expensive but my memory value far outweighed the cost financially, and I wouldn't have missed them for the world!



What other holiday could you take where you could go to sleep in one country, and wake up in another! A different country filled with exciting and wonderful things to do. You may choose to go whale watching, white water rafting (not for me!), swimming with turtles, dance in the rain in The Rain Forest (one of my most favourite memories). You could go diving on a barrier reef, take a tour of Venice or Rome, enjoy a scrumptious feast you have help cooked, trek to a waterfall or  take a tuk tuk ride. The possibilities are endless!

Getting A Good Deal

For me, I usually book the cheapest room available, which is often an inside one. Before I had been on a ship I thought this would never be the case. But now I know an inside one could save me the price of another holiday, so by forgoing a balcony and window, I still get the same amenities as everyone else, but two holidays for the price of one :)

I don't mind where I go, or when I go, so I usually leave booking until the last minute and then seem to get a fantastic price. I have been on a seven day cruise to Norway for £499, a fourteen day trip to the Mediterranean for £699 and a sixteen day trip (with return flights home included) to The Caribbean for £1100. When you remember you are getting accommodation, travel, fantastic food, entertainment, your room cleaned every day, and people to look after you for this price, it seems like a really good deal to me.

I have found browsing through the companies website, as well as cruise travel agents the best way to see what choices are available. Obviously, just going a little out of season, can save you a lot of money.

So if you are looking for a way to travel, where you feel safe and supported, without the hassle of airports, cruising could be a good option for you. As we get older, it is nice to feel we have arrived at our holiday home, a long time before we arrive at our destination!

I would love it if you could follow me :) Please click the 3 lines on the left at top of the page and then click follow x

Thank you for stopping by 💝💝💝 Lily x


Popular Posts